"Fashion fades, only style remains the same." Coco Chanel

Thursday, September 9, 2010

How to: Accessorize With Colour



Colour is an amazing medium to use when building your daily outfits or adding to your existing wardrobe.  Using colour invokes emotion and can be worn to execute fun, happiness, sassiness, sexiness, or mystery, the emotions are endless!

Colour when worn can compliment how you are feeling or change your mood. It also invokes emotions upon the observer ie. your date ;) - if you sport red on a date it invokes feelings of passion or in other words, sexual excitement, thus making you more of a desirable item ;)

This is quite a wide topic and can go in many different directions so I'm going to keep it simple and light. I find I use colour to add to an outfit when I want to create a sexy or fun look. Balance, emphasis, unity, and/or focal point are key when implementing colour. This is something I want you to keep in mind when building your outfit. You don't need to follow exactly my steps below but let them inspire you or guide you when using colour. So here are a few tips that I use when accessorizing with this exciting element:

1. First step you should always be asking: Where am I going? Is it dressy casual, formal or casual? From this you can decide what pieces will work for the occassion. I have chosen ivory palazzo pants and a black short sleeved turtleneck. I'm going out to dinner with friends and it's dressy casual attire.

2. Now this is when you want to figure out which colours work for your hair and skintone and put together the next pieces of the outfit. I've selected purple faux gem earrings with matching bracelet trio and costume jewellery ring. When selecting jewellery remember that you don't always have to match exactly although it can help depending on what you're working with. An example would be a pink necklace and green earrings. You're still matching it's just not all pieces are the same colour.

3. Last step I decide on is outerwear - This is the step to decide what shoes, jacket, handbag, scarves or any other accessories you have to add that will close the look. My focus is going to be on shoes, jacket and handbag. I picked a faux snake skin flat with a pointed toe (I selected these because they're ivory and black and animal print always looks amazing with colour), a red trench coat and a mini black clutch. Picturing the outfit I now have a balanced outfit with the right amount of colour. I always try to stick to a minimum of 3 colours and use 1 colour as a focal point ie. Red trench coat. 2 colours is great but if I'm taking a piece off I like it to be of another colour to add more dramatic flare.

4. Last step is makeup and hair. This should tie the outfit together nicely. Being that it's a dressy casual evening I'll do a bit of a smokey eye and make it casual and playful with some purple accents to compliment the accessories and a bright red lip to add a second colour and a focal point. Hair I'll wear straight and simple with bangs swept to the side.

There are endless ways to add colour and I hope that this helped to give you a picture of what to look for when building with colour. Usually if I use colour as a focal point ie. Red top I'll wear a pair of jeans a simple heel and a neutral jacket with some coloured makeup to keep the look simple but strong in its statement.

XOXO Ladies!

Any questions? Need Assistance? I'm here for you! Message me with your fashion Q's or feedback :)










No comments:

Post a Comment